Can I hang wallpaper over painted walls? How do I hang wallpaper over painted walls?
Wallpapering over a tired-looking painted wall is a great way to give your room a new lease on life. But when papering over a previously painted wall, there a few things to beware of:
- Enamel Glossy paints: Wallpaper doesn’t stick well to walls painted with enamel glossy paints. The paint creates a smooth, fully-sealed surface leaving nothing for the paste to adhere to – in extreme cases, wallpaper can fall off the wall.
- Bright, dark or two-toned walls: Strong and/or contrasting colours can show through your new wallpaper. They call this bleed through or ghosting and it can spoil the effect of your new wallpaper.
- Weak paint: As the wallpaper dries, it creates a lot of pressure that can literally pull weak paint off the wall.
- Remove/scrape off any loose or cracking paint
- Wash wall with sugarsoap solution
- Wash wall with clean water and let dry
- Sand entire wall with 60 – 80 grit sandpaper if enamel paint or 120 grit sandpaper if acrylic paint
- Dust thorough
- Apply an oil based, pigmented sealer.
- Apply size